Go to

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

and search the drive compatibility database. Over 100
entries for Combo DVD-CDR (under Select a Mac Model,
use PowerBook G3 2000 Rage128 Mobility). At least one
mention there about the "quality" of the LM drive.

Most all of the entries are for the expansion bay -
having never owned a Pismo, I assume this is the most
common way of integrating this type of drive?

You might try these guys for a replacement drive

http://www.centrix-intl.com/fulllist.asp

I haven't used them and have no financial interest in
them; I found them while looking for a CDRW to put in
my son's new (to him) clamshell iBook (I was planning
on buying one from them, but my son decided he didn't
need/want CDRW capability).

Just because these drives are "obsolete" from a
production standpoint, there's no reason to not use
the drive (new or "pre-owned"). Heck, the Pismo is
"obsolete."

Regards,

Bob Eye
Dallas, TX