I don't know if it's the best way to do it, but I had noticed it in
passing so I'll pass it on: OnyX has an import bookmarks checkbox in
Appearance->Safari.

(I use the appearance-tweaking parts of OnyX to pin my dock at the
trash end so the trash can doesn't scoot out of the way when I try to
drag something onto it, and noticed this in exploring the other
settings.)

Anne

Safari Enhancer will allow you to import bookmarks from other apps or an
html file. You can locate it on versiontracker.com

Thanks Anne, Safari Enhancer is just what I needed.
Versiontracker pointed me to
 <http://www.lordofthecows.com/safari_enhancer.php>
where they have versions for Jaguar, Panther and Tiger.
I downloaded it and ran it, it couldn't find the bookmark file probably because I was importing from another computer. Following the help file's suggestion I selected "any file" (?) and was able to navigate to the file and import it. It worked perfectly preserving all the subfolders in the correct arrangement.

Now I'll go go look for OnyX

Thanks for all the suggestions

Andrew in Ann Arbor