On Sep 18, 2005, at 9:30 PM, G-Books wrote:

Perhaps just upgrade the Pismo's media bay to CD-ROM-R-R/W and DVD- ROM.
It definitely will not do a DVD-R or R/W, most likely on account of
imperfect grounding or other flaws in the electrical interface from the
drive to the motherboard.

Actually the Pismo will burn DVDs okay, just at slower speeds. Depends on your setup, portability needs, etc. External firewire will always be much better, faster, stabler, etc. As I mentioned, I used a Panasonic UJ-811B in my Pismo and it burned movies to DVD-R's okay. Was able to read those movies on the same drive and on a home DVD player. I used DVD Backup and DVD2oneX to prepare the source video file. The Panasonic drives have the advantage of being tray-loaders that can use the original Panasonic DVD-Rom drive bezel from the Pismo (not the LG one). The series includes UJ-810, UJ-811 and UJ-820, if I remember correctly. The burning speeds increase as the model number goes up, with the 820 at 4x.

Chris