Hello all,

 I have an iBook G4 (1.1 ghz) that has a QSI CD-ROM TCR-241 drive in it.
While I got it at a price I could not pass up, I have always wanted to upgrade the machine with a Combo drive or a Super drive. I have talked with several people locally and have received different information from all of them. Some say 'Yes, buy one that is made for the iBook, install the new drivers and the machine will work fine'. Others say 'No, it would require replacing the mother board' which is a none starter.

I have a couple of external CDR/DVD drives that work fine at home, but it is very inconvenient to haul all the extra equipment around when I go out and about. Besides the fact that they don't operate on batteries. If I could get everything in one package it would make life much easier.

I would like to know if it is possible to replace the CD-ROM with one of these two types of drives?
Has anyone tried to do this?
Any suggestions on replacement drives?
And what problems did you encounter?

Thanks - Edwin Hadley