>If there are all sorts of these slot loading drives out there, does
>anyone know why I can't take one of these $50 drives and put it in a G3 iMac
>or a Cube?    All of the places that sell replacement slot drives for these
>want a minimum of $129.

$45-$55 is for a "half height" 5.25" drive, suitable for a DT or MT, or
similar; NOT for a PB.

$105-$135 is for a 12.7mm 5.25" drive, suitable for a PB.

If you expect to use the full performance of the drive, DO NOT expect to
do so in a PB media bay, use an external Firewire case, instead. Full
performance is achievable, internally, from a B&W or later, attched
directly to the EIDE/UATA "multiword" bus.

Also, know what drives ARE actually supported, or, if you select another
drive, which CAN be supported, and HOW.

The answer to the first part is Pioneer DVR-106 ("half height"), et. al.
or Pioneer DVR-K04 (12.7mm), et. al.

The answer to the second part is the specific PatchBurn version which is
appropriate for your version of OS X.