From: Gene Osburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wallstreet batteries
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:59:49 -0700

I've got a battery that doesn't show up when inserted. I assume it's
dead.
It's the only battery I have for this wallstreet. It's been stored for
several years, was fine before that.

Is there any utility that might get the computer to try charging it?
I'm
just wondering if maybe the charge has dropped so low that the
computer
doesn't recognise it, but perhaps if given some juice it may still
have a
little life in it.

There used to be a little utility from Apple called, I believe,
"BatteryReset", which would just reset the little chip on the battery
so
that the battery would communicate with the Wallstreet that it's OK to
charge. Not sure where it is on the Apple download site, though...

Battery Reset only works with batteries that still have at least a
trace charge in them.  If the WS can't "see" the battery in the bay
it's too dead to be revived.  Sad but true -- LiIons that are stored
for too long without at least a 30-40% charge will die.  I've never
even heard of any external charger/conditioner that will revive a LiIon
once it's reached this state; has anyone else actually "saved" one of
these...?

I thought I should respond to this in case others read it while researching a solution to the same problem. I took Paul up on his kind offer and he quickly sent me the battery reset utility. It worked perfectly on the first try, and the battery charged for hours while I used the computer. I'm waiting on new hinges for the wallstreet so I've removed the display to protect the ribbon cables and am using an external monitor instead. After the battery was fully charged, I went on the net with the internal modem and the hard drive running constantly, and it lasted for 2 hours 55 minutes.

I realize it won't last nearly as long when the display is back on, but I'm happy nonetheless. :)

Thanks to all,
Andrew