>> Specifically, failure of the drives to properly negotiate down to the
>> lower AT specification expected, and required by the Lombard and the
>> Pismo.
>
>Again, which means what ? It runs slow ? It doesn't work ?

The machine will lock up, and fail to get past the flashing icon.

Initializing the drive in another machine (B&W, for example) and then
putting that drive in an affected PowerBook won't work as the affected
PowerBook will not auto-negotiate and, therefore, cannot read the boot
code off of the drive and into the FLASH ROM on the motherboard.

This affects certain "new world" PowerBooks (Lombard, Pismo, and possibly
others), which read the boot code off of the drive and into a FLASH ROM
before proceeding to do the actual Mac OS boot.

The last "old world" PowerBook (Wallstreet) appears to be OK. I presume
the first G3 (Kanga) is OK, too.

Strangely, the first "new world" desktop (B&W) is OK, but the first few
"new world" PowerBooks (Lombard and Pismo) are not OK.

>I've changed tens of drives and not seen any problems - is there a symptom
>of this problem, does it affect just one or two makes of drives ?

Both makes of drives and model within make.

OW has documented those which they sell which won't work with Lombard and
Pismo machines.

I've documented those which are not sold by OW, but which I have
specifically tested for compatibility with Lombard and Pismo machines.

In general, stay away from all Samsungs, and also from the latest
Hitachi/IBM and Toshiba drives for these machines.

If the drives are 10 GB or smaller, they're usually old enough so that
this problem won't appear.