on 09/10/05 03:08, Morgen Schuler at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I'm hoping someone can help me out with my problem.  I am becomming
> familiar with the parts of my comp because I have a powerbook bronze
> pismo.  For a while (after I accidentally dropped it, a short
> distance, but still gave it a jolt) it has been making clunking
> noises.  I am thinking that the hard drive took the brunt of the
> impact and something was loosened or knocked out of place making these
> noises.  In any case, it was stalling a lot and having issues but
> still worked.  Now, I push the power button and the monitor comes on
> fine, the cd rom checks to see if there's a disc in it, and then
> nothing.  No apple (tho the screen is grey like it's supposed to be)
> no circular waiting icon, nothing.  The hard drive isn't booting up at
> all.  I am assuming this is a broken hard drive, but I don't want to
> go out and buy one before I get some opinions.  I also don't want to
> spend 45 bux for someone to tell me something I already know (a pro
> just checking to see what the problem is hmph).  Thanks in advance for
> any help.. i LOVE my machine and want it back up and running again
> soon.

Your hard disk is most definitely broken.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

mainframe: n. Term originally referring to the cabinet containing the
central processor unit or `main frame' of a room-filling Stone Age batch
machine. After the emergence of smaller `minicomputer' designs in the early
1970s, the traditional big iron machines were described as `mainframe
computers' and eventually just as mainframes. The term carries the
connotation of a machine designed for batch rather than interactive use,
though possibly with an interactive timesharing operating system retrofitted
onto it; it is especially used of machines built by IBM, Unisys, and the
other great dinosaurs surviving from computing's Stone Age.