At 12:08 AM -0700 10/09/2005, Morgen Schuler wrote:
I have a powerbook bronze pismo.

Before digging into the interior, identify your PB properly:

The 1998 PowerBook G3, called the Wallstreet, is a black PowerBook, thicker than the others, and has the family number M4753 on its bottom.

The 1999 PowerBook G3, called the Lombard or Bronze Keyboard, is a black PowerBook and has the family number M5343 on its bottom.

The 2000 PowerBook G3, called the G3 FireWire or Pismo, is a black PowerBook with the family number M7572 on its bottom. This is the only black PowerBook with FireWire ports.

For a while (after I accidentally dropped it, a short distance, but still gave it a jolt) it has been making clunking noises.

In addition to the HD, there are a number of components in a PB that can come loose.

it was stalling a lot and having issues but still worked. Now, I push the power button and the monitor comes on fine, the cd rom checks to see if there's a disc in it, and then nothing. No apple (tho the screen is grey like it's supposed to be) no circular waiting icon, nothing. The hard drive isn't booting up at all.

You're getting a proper BONG, not a chord or the sound of breaking glass?

Boot from your OS CD. If that works, try running Disk First Aid from the CD. See if it can talk to and repair the drive...

If you cannot boot from the CD, there's something more serious going on than just a dying HD.

IMO the PB G3's are nice machines. Well worth digging into to repair them, if you have the patience. I've delt with several that were dropped. Mostly the damage was limited to loosened cables, cache cards, DIMMs, etc. Haven't seen a laptop HD die from a simple fall recently... they're tough critters, designed for high-shock.

FWIW,
- Dan.