On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:20 AM, Frank P. Eigler wrote:

OS 10.3.9

When trying to open/select a particular folder (3 levels down) in Finder
I get the spinning beach ball. The contents had been accessible by
navigating via application "Open", but now that has become a problem.

fsck has been run on boot, and I've done full maintence (permissions;
maintenance scripts; optimization; DB updates) using Onyx. No effect.

No other folder at that level displays this behaviour. This folder is
accessible via terminal, so I know I *can* likely copy/move
it and delete the original but I'd rather figure out what the problem is
and correct it.

Look for a file .DS_Store in terminal in that folder, and delete it.

That might fix the problem. .DS_Store is the normally invisible file where Finder stores some metadata associated with the folder, such as last sort order and view type. If that's corrupted, it might cause the problems you're seeing. This isn't something that fsck or Disk Repair would find.

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'