On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2005, at 10:20 AM, Frank P. Eigler wrote:
>
> > OS 10.3.9
> >
> > When trying to open/select a particular folder (3 levels down) in
> > Finder
> > I get the spinning beach ball. The contents had been accessible by
> > navigating via application "Open", but now that has become a problem.
> >
> > fsck has been run on boot, and I've done full maintence (permissions;
> > maintenance scripts; optimization; DB updates) using Onyx. No effect.
> >
> > No other folder at that level displays this behaviour. This folder is
> > accessible via terminal, so I know I *can* likely copy/move
> > it and delete the original but I'd rather figure out what the
> > problem is
> > and correct it.
>
> Look for a file .DS_Store in terminal in that folder, and delete it.
>
> That might fix the problem. .DS_Store is the normally invisible file
> where Finder stores some metadata associated with the folder, such as
> last sort order and view type. If that's corrupted, it might cause
> the problems you're seeing. This isn't something that fsck or Disk
> Repair would find.

Laurent asked how many files in the folder: there are 24.

Tried DW, TechTool and Disk Utility. All good, except techtool 'quits
unexpectedly' while doing its file structure check. This occured before
and after deleting .DS_Store

ELiminating the .DS_Store file has no effect, nor does changing views.

NB: I can fully access the problem folder(s) over 802.11. WTH???
--
Non Illegitimi Carborundum