At 03:36 PM -0400 10/19/2005, dan_A wrote:
- restarted into open firmware (cmd-opt-o-f)
- typed
   eject cd
   reset-nvram
   reset-all

My 15" Ti-book, 800MHz, 1 GB RAM, running OS 10.4.2 will not shut down or restart using menu commands. It goes to the blank blue screen and stays there. I can get it to shut down by holding down the start button for a few seconds. It won't restart using any software or hardware methods. I have to force a shutdown and then do a cold reboot.

Repair the drive then repair permissions.

Make sure you don't have any broken shutdown items running.

I read Luis' post on getting his Superdrive to work again via the Terminal by using cmd-opt-o-f and then typing eject cd reset-nvram reset-all.

Not terminal (the Unix command shell). Holding down opt-cmd-O-F at restart puts you into the Open Firmware command shell. Open Firmware is the primary bootstap program, that runs out of your Mac's Boot ROM. It manages the whole boot process (of whatever operating systems you have loaded onto the HDs).

Leaving out eject cd command line, would the rest of the commands possibly clear the problem or is the solution more likely by removing the keyboard and hitting the reset the pmu button? TIA.

Worth a shot.  Certainly less tromatic than opening the hardware. :)

See also this Apple TIL:

HTH,
- Dan.