On Oct 22, 2005, at 8:06 PM, Dylan McDermond wrote:

On Oct 22, 2005, at 11:46 AM, Brian McEwen wrote:

I can't find the tool I need to turn the .avi file into something that I can burn onto a DVD (in movie format).

Try ffmpegx http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

OK, what format to I convert to so that a) quicktime will play it b) I can make a DVD with toast 5.2.3 or iDVD?

The ffmpegx converter can preview the .avi-- quicktime can't play it, even with the correct plug-in installed. No surprise, I'm used to QT not playing things.

the ffmpegx walk-thru for making a dVD says I should be able to use .mov mpeg-4 or DVD (which makes a video_ts folder) for either Tosst 5.2.3 (which is what I have) or iDVD (which I also have).

However, .mov mpeg-4 gives me a movie which plays white, although sound is there. DVD, gives me a video_ts folder which is a black movie, no vid or sound, but it's big, and does play, just is kinda boring.

I moved the thing to my wife's Dell and got it onto DVD in 3 mouse clicks, with freeware. Easy enough!

I'd love for this kind of thing to work easily on my Mac. should it be easy?? Sure, if I capture on this Mac, video will work. I have no digital camcorder, and I live in the real world, which means other standard formats have to work.

I am 10.4.1, was with QT6.x, now am QT 7.0.3. I have the latest ffmpegx, with the latest of the components it requires; I've gone thru the walk-thru at the above site repeatedly, and waited literally tens of hours for these things to get converted, only to have them fail to be useful.

Thanks for pointers.

Brian