>People have written that some newer drives (ATA6) are not compatible
>with the Pismo. What is the symptom of these drives when they don't
>negotiatid to ATA5?

No devices on the ATA bus will work ... at all!

You cannot boot from the CD/DVD, even if that CD/DVD contains a system
installer, or even an "emergency" boot volume.

Sure, the devices will appear to power on and become selected, but they
will not read or write data.

Once the offending hard drive is removed, the ATA bus will again work.

Even if the new hard drive is already initialized on, say, a Beige G3 or
a B&W G3 (using the appropriate adapter to a 40-pin cable) or even
another PowerBook, say, a Wallstreet, which DOES support the new hard
drive, it will not work on a Lombard or Pismo because the ATA chipsets in
these models cannot auto-negotiate properly. The fault is partly in the
drive, but also partly in the 'book.

But, as these suspect drives will work in desktops, and also in
Wallstreets, one would have to conclude that the fault lies more with the
Lombard and Pismo 'books, and less with the suspect drives.

The older Hitachi/IBMs ... most particularly the high-capacity 5K80
series ... are known to work with Lombard and Pismo 'books.

The older Toshibas are also known to work with Lombard and Pismo 'books.

The current Samsung, Hitachi/IBM and Toshiba high-capacity drives are
known not to work with Lombard and Pismo 'books.

Generally, older drives of 10 GB and below are OK, but later drives of 20
GB and above, other than those specifically mentioned herein earlier,
must be evaluated for Lombard and Pismo compatibility on a case-by-case
basis.

OWC's web site specifically identifies those Toshiba and Hitachi/IBM
drives which will and will not work with Lombard and Pismo 'books [ * ].

OWC doesn't sell Samsung drives at all, and one wouldn't expect it to
comment on drives which it doesn't sell.

OWC's reference is not specific to the Lombard and Pismo 'books, that
reference being to "certain PowerBook models", but personal experience
has shown that OWC's statement is correct as to the Lombard and Pismo
'books, but incorrect as to Wallstreet 'books. I cannot comment on later
'books as I don't own any past the Pismo.

[ * ] OWC has recently updated its web site to delete references to those
drives which will not work on Lombard and Pismo 'books. Before, it listed
by model number those drives known not to work, among those drives which
it sells, and stated that the other drives which is sells were known to
work.