At 6:03 PM -0600 11/9/05, Howard Katz wrote:
One of my part-time jobs is working at a local university--I'm there now.

I've used the wireless capabilities of my G4 15" AL unit for months
here with no problems.  Univ. network is open, unprotected. I was
sitting at my desk today using the wirelss connection, via automatic
airport setting when all of a sudden it stopped working.  I've tried
two different browsers (icab, firefox), a telnet client, as well as
launching a few internet-connected widget to see if anything would
take care of the problem.  Even removed the battery for 10 min on the
off-chance that would work.  It didn't, and neither have multiple
restarts and shutdowns.

Airport's icon in the menu bar shows a strong signal.
AirTrafficControl widget shows network(s), and strength.  However,
nothing I try will get anything to connect thru the wireless.  (A
co-worker's peecee is working fine wireless.)  It does however, work
fine when I plug directly into an ethernet jack, like right now.

It was working earlier today when I stopped for coffee at an place
that offers free wifi, and like I said, it was working here for maybe
an hour and then just stopped.

I ran the netowrk status diagnostics, and it fails on ISP and server.
It does see the network, and I've got a good strong, all-bars signal
showing.

IT isn't too mac savvy here, so I'm basically on my own.

Any suggestions or help?

Best guess is you aren't getting a DHCP lease. Open the Network Preference Pane and see what IP address your Airport interface is getting. If it is 169.254.x.x that is what is known as "Self Assigned" (the Network Preference Pane will refer to it as such). It means your Mac couldn't get a DHCP address from a server and made up it's own address which is usually used with ad hoc networks.

It should ultimately re-find a DHCP address. You can force it by either hitting the "Renew DHCP Lease" button in the TCP/IP section or creating a new location with a static IP address (it doesn't matter what), switch to it (hitting Apply Now) then switch back (again hitting Apply Now). The former is simpler but the latter is more reliable.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA