Hi Clem

If you are still getting 1 hr from the first battery and you use the mac like that then (that is great not good)

To get better life try this.

Go the the system prefs and select the energy saver settings, Then click the options tab. select the 1st and 2nd of the other options then go to the bottom and select the reduced settings in the processor performance tab.

Then go to the display settings and starting at the bottom set the screen to what you feel is ok for use.

Recharge the battery fully and then see how long you get .
I think you should get around 20mins more from the battery that you have and if you take the external card out and find and use an internal airport card then the battery life will get a bit better also. (I only found this when i switched from an external 54g card back to the internal b card Not much of a speed difference for what i use the mac for anyway, ) but this depends on what you do with the net if you need the 54g card that go with it.

Also what os are you using..
Vicki