>Has anyone done this? Bought a drive and swapped the internals into the
>shell for the Pismo? Does it work? Do you lose the ability to play DVDs
>when you do that?

My Pismo and Lombard (which share the same optical drive bay design, and
problems with same, BTW) have both been upgraded to dual-layer (2.4X) and
single-layer (8X) DVD +/- reading, writing and rewriting.

(My Pismo has a slot loader, Panasonic UJ-845S or Pioneer DVR-A05; my
Lombard has a tray loader, Pioneer DVR-K05. Patchburn is necessary to
support these drives).

Speed is limited to 2X writes 100 percent of the time, and 4X writes
about 50 percent of the time, on account of basic defects in the media
bay's design (lack of effective shielding and grounding).

Nevertheless, I have burned DVDs, and viewed these, and imported all
kinds of media using these enhanced drives.

Frankly, I prefer a Firewire external DVD for burning, which can do 8X or
better all day and night. But, the internal drive is otherwise more
convenient.

Most original Mac optical drives cannot play DVD+Rs at all, and DVD-R
playing is sometimes chancy; but with the replacement drive these problem
were eliminated.

So, within the speed constraints mentioned, I have found the Pismo (and
also the Lombard) to be excellent multi-media portables.

Again, the problems will be encountered in burning; not in ripping,
authoring or viewing.