At 8:24 AM -0500 12/9/05, chris wrote:
 >Can anyone tell me if OSX 10.4 must be installed on the first 8 gb of
a hard drive on a Pismo?

I recently upgraded my Pismo's drive to a 60 GB drive and I cloned my
10.3 install to that drive. I did not partition the drive in any way and
all works just fine, so I'd have to guess that no, there is no 8 GB limit
on the Pismo (not like the way the 1st gen iMac needs OS X in a partition
that does not exceed the first 8 GB).

While it's true the Pismo doesn't have the limit, that it worked in this case isn't a valid test. You can do the same thing to those machines with the limit and it may work. It depends on certain files being located in the first 8Gb. The limit isn't on how big a drive you can have but is based on the boot code being able to load some files only in the first 8Gb. The installer requires that the boot volume be 8Gb to avoid any possibility of the files being outside the 8Gb limit.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA