>While it's true the Pismo doesn't have the limit, that it worked in
>this case isn't a valid test.  You can do the same thing to those
>machines with the limit and it may work.  It depends on certain files
>being located in the first 8Gb.  The limit isn't on how big a drive
>you can have but is based on the boot code being able to load some
>files only in the first 8Gb.  The installer requires that the boot
>volume be 8Gb to avoid any possibility of the files being outside the
>8Gb limit.

Very true.

My bad on my reply... it originally had a lead in section that mentioned
that I originally installed OS X (10.3) on a 12 GB drive that was in the
Pismo when I got it about a year ago. Again with no partitioning.

I then recently upgraded it to a 60 GB and cloned it when I did so.

With my lead in section, it makes it a little more clear that it doesn't
appear to have the 8 GB limit. Without it, as you point out, it doesn't
really mean much. Where that lead in paragraph went, I have no idea. I'll
chalk it up to either distraction when I was editing my reply, or my
email client once again ate part of it (for a reason I have yet to figure
out, Emailer running under OS X seems to periodically decide the mouse
has clicked and dragged instead of just moving over an area... as a
result, I periodically loose parts of emails that are selected and then
deleted when I press anything on the keyboard, such as the enter key to
send the email... don't know why it happens, and although it is very
annoying, I've not bothered to spend much time trying to figure it out...
with Classic going bye bye on the upcoming Intel based Macs, I'll be
forced to leave Emailer behind anyway)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>