> Krow Magnum at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 12/9/05 4:33 PM
>
> The advise I always give is spend as much as you can afford. I can't
> imagine 800MHz as only being "adequate" for Tiger. My 466 Clam does
> just fine with surfing, email and ebaying. My 1.5GHz G4 Powerbook
> doesn't do those things that much faster. A 300MHz G3 iBook would be
> pushing it but an 800MHz G4 iBook will handle Tiger with no problems.

That's great to know.  The G3-500mhz was just sold (Mr. Frenchy), but the
G4-800mhz with No-OS ends at 9pm and one person already did bid on it
finally.  Don't think I can stay awake 'til 9pm...

> iBooks are made for "Light duty use" and he's comparing it to
> something you would need a G4 Powerbook or G4/G5 Powermac for. Anyone
> using high-end graphics apps or video apps should not be using an
> iBook anyway. iBooks are for the home computer user and an 800MHz G4
> has plenty of oomph for that. As mentioned 512MB or better RAM helps
> too.

Awesome!  Then that G4 is a good machine for Tiger.  No video apps or
high-end graphics here, mostly Text Text and more Text, lol, and a few pics
now and then.

> Now that you have fast internet you can get on the wifi wagon too !

heehee, would love to be completely wireless!  Mr. French's G3-500mhz
actually had an airport card (if he is for real, that is), as most of them
do not include the airport card.

> The main reason I have a Powerbook and iBook is because I can use wifi
> and lounge on the couch, in bed or out enjoying the weather. (I live
> in FL so it's nice enough to go outside in my shorts and iBook here)

That's the only place I ever do computing is legs stretched out on the bed.
Sat crouched over a desk for too many years on the job. So this is the only
way to "compute"!  As for outside, enjoy while you can as this is THE ONLY
time of year that  "outside" is even bearable.  -- Also a native Floridian
-- but can't take the 7-months of humidity-h***.  Ugh!

> Caution though..... it can make one turn into a couch potato ;-)
> --
> Ron
> http://krowmagnum.4mg.com/

heehee, too late, already happened -- even WITH wires!
/Gail