But yes RB, they are audio cd's (with data files on them). Resetting the pmu didn't work.

I am running Tiger 10.4.3. I am wondering if anybody has this file? It is called 'CD Info.cidb' file. It is your in Users/Home/ Library/Preferences folder. Someone on the Apple site forum said it get corrupted but I don't even have it. I suspect it gets created after using some form of cd format, but this powerbook may have been upgraded since the drive stopped working, so said file may never have been generated. My guess anyhow...

So now wondering if anybody has it in their folder.  Thanks,
Dave

Actually I have several things to try yet re the combo drive. These were data disks so really wasn't considering whether there was an audio disk issue. Apparently there are some files though that can get corrupted that I can try removing. Apparently resetting the pmu may also have an impact according to the Apple web site. About to shut down and try that next.

The thing is, yeah I may fix the combo drive, BUT I REALLLLLY want to be able to burn dvd's on this too. So I am wanting to take the opportunity to upgrade to a Superdrive. I can always sell the combo drive off after I fix it if it happens.

Dave

David...

I'd say a critical question is, "Why does the DVD work, but the audio CD does not?" I'm assuming the DVD audio is fine, correct? If so, then clearly there is no laser registration issue, and the fact that DVD audio works indicates the audio circuitry in the drive is fine. Are you sure there is not another,
simpler--but, perhaps less obvious--issue?

rb