David Rodriguez on 12/20/05 5:06 PM wrote:

> I purchased a used G4 800 DVI Powerbook this last weekend.
> Everything runs fine and its in great shape, except the Combo drive.
> It was damaged by prior owner.  DVD still works but no cd performance
> at all.
>
> So wondering about compatibility of Superdrives.  Specifically, does
> anybody know if a Superdrive from an Imac G5 would fit?  If it's just
> a matter of exchanging exterior drive mounting hardware, not a
> problem.  If there are physical orientation or size differences of
> the drive itself, then that would be an issue.  Obviously they are
> both slot loading.

It's possible the drive just plain broke. I have a 1GHz 15" Aluminum and the
Combo drive crapped out on me over a year ago, with the exact same symptoms
as yours (DVD reads data and played movies, CD didn't read or write). Apple
replaced it under warranty for me.

You can add a SuperDrive to yours without any new hardware required. I've
purchased and installed them for customers and they work nicely. Here's a
link to OWC. They have a good selection available:
<http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/optical-drives/superdrives/powerbook/>