On Dec 22, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Clark Martin wrote:

Your iBook can only take an original Airport card (802.11b) so stick with a "b" router unless there is something else that might go wireless. Don't worry about the future, by then a "g" (or "n", "x", "y" or "z") router will likely be cheaper than what a "b" is now.

You probably won't find any routers that are just 802.11b - g is pretty much the standard and compatible with the Airport card in your iBook. n is becoming the new standard but isn't 'standard' yet.

I steer people away from Linksys, I've heard bad things about their reliability and features. D-Link seems okay as is Netgear.

Oh boy do I agree here. We completely stopped carrying Linksys products this year due to their flaky wireless routers. We recommend Netgear highly as well as Apples Airport stations for the technophobes. The airport station is one of those areas where Apple deserves its reputation for high price - they are very high priced compared to other wireless stations. But there is something to be said for one stop support. There is nothing worse then getting stuck on the Support Merry Go Round of - you'll need to talk to Apple about that problem - you'll need to talk to XYZ about that problem.

I'd also recommend just powering the unit up, plugging it into your network and then trying it out with your iBook. But do be sure to turn security on soon afterwards.

cheers
david