on 02/01/06 14:26, Tom and Lisa Peters at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> On Jan 1, 2006, at 6:25 PM, Lists wrote:
>>

>>> This makes a total of 5 completely unrelated Subjects: covered by
>>> the same thread, where people just changed the Subject: line
>>> instead of starting a new thread by clicking NEW.
>>
>> I'm sorry, what are you whinging about? Every one of the posts in
>> this thread had something to do with Tom's problem with the CompUSA
>> wireless card.
>>
>> Tom, try the IOXpert drivers, you can use them on a trial basis to
>> see if the card works with them.
>
> I installed the drivers, but that didnt seem to do anything.
>
>> Alternatively, poke around at the Windows drivers provided on the
>> disk that came with it. There's an .INF file that's in the install
>> directories for Windows that will open in a text editor, and may
>> contain the manufacturer identification.
>>
>> --
>> Bruce Johnson
>
> When opened the net8185.inf file with text edit, it says the provider
> is Realtek.
> A trip to www.realtek.com.tw indicates they have they have a PCMCIA
> wireless card "8185" :
>
> http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-3.aspx?lineid=2002111&famid=200
> 4112&series=All&Software=True
>
> It says its for 10.4, but I only have 10.3.9 on my lombard.  I
> installed anyway but when I try and run the wireless utility it tells
> me there is no wireless LAN card installed.  It might be you have to
> have 10.4 on the machine.
>
> At no point am I getting any lights on the card so it is possible its
> a bum card.  The fact that Realtek has a mac driver is encouraging
> though.

The networking kernel stuff has substantially changed with 10.4 which might
explain why the driver won't work on 10.3.x...

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

frag n.,v.: [from Vietnam-era U.S. military slang via the games Doom and
Quake] 1. To kill another player's avatar in a multiuser game. "I hold the
office Quake record with 40 frags." 2. To completely ruin something. "Forget
that power supply, the lightning strike fragged it. See also gib.