On Jan 2, 2006, at 21:55, G-Books wrote:
It gave the usual disk aid notice...and then this  ALARMING one!

"Built in memory test has detected a problem.
Please contact a service technician for advice."

clicked OK...and everything looked "normal".

I was able to reboot using the other partition which holds disk warrior
and ran disk warrior.

When I went to change it back to the main brain.... it locked up...and a
force restart takes me  back to black.

 service technicians?... any advice?

Kristina
near Chicago

I'm not a service technician but sounds like you may have lost the L2 cache memory.
From an earlier post:

If the L2 cache is bad you will get a warning on start up:
"the built in memory test has detected a problem with cache memory. Please contact a service technician for assistance" In OS9 Apple system profiler will report "External L2 cache: Not Installed" if the cache is bad. In OS 10.3.9 (panther) About This Mac will take you to the system profiler (click on "More Info") where it will report "L2 Cache (per CPU) 1MB" if the cache is good.

I ran a Lombard (OS 9.2.2) with a bad cache chip and it started fine (with the scary message) but it tended to have problems waking from sleep. I replaced the processor card (about $50 on the swap list) and it's been much better since then. You can also have the cache chip repaired (about $100) or get a G4 upgrade (about $300).

Good luck

Andrew in Ann Arbor
technology is the answer, what was the question?