Tim,

What I grew to realize with my Lombard with the bad cache is that it's just much better and easier on the book to let it sleep overnight rather then shut down. While the reset was no real hassle, allowing it to sleep is easier on the power switch anyhow, bad cache or not. So like with any system, once in a while I would reboot, just to clear things out. And once a month, I began to use the fsck method as well as DiskWarrior, simply as a matter of preventative maintenance on both my desktop and book. I do the same sleep overnight and maintenance with my new TiBook now.

I never found the bad L2 cache to be an issue for me except when maybe the short time I was running OS9 on it, then it would give the alert at startup, which took a simple click of the mouse, as well as the reset. It ran much better under Jaguar, then better under Panther, and even better under Tiger (which of course requires either XpostFacto or installing Tiger on the drive, while it is hooked up to another supported system). So Caleb, definitely Panther is better then Jaguar but both ran well. That said, since I now have a newer book, I have put my Lombard up for sale, and while it has been very dependable, I will be saying bye to it soon.

Dave

Also, I'm not sure if you are a victim of the Lombard issue with OS X that I am :)) but to get it to start I have to push the small reset button on the back of my Lombard before every start up. Works every time....

Tim