Yeah, that's real hot. One thing you might check is where the heat may be originating. Pretty easy to tell if under the dvd or just cpu. If the underside of the dvd player is also 'real' hot, it may simply be venting towards hard drive and cpu and overloading fans.

Get some airspace underneath the laptop when in use. As Andrew says, don't use a pillow. With a Lombard, even a hard surface doesn't provide the best ventilation but it's better then a pillow for sure. You may be lucky that you didn't damage the processor at those temps. As I recall, that is what leads to the damaged L2 Cache. You may also want to check that your fans are working properly, like no shorts or 'linted' up from long term pillow use.

Dave

Dear listers, and, more specifically, fellow Lombard users,

I've got my Lombard in my lap, as it virtually lives in my recliner. However, I was watching some video in VLC when I felt things getting hot. I then fired up TemperatureX and saw that my Lombard was running a smokin' 183 degrees Fahrenheit. Didn't even hear a fan, but I know there has to be on going, because it's dropped twenty-five degrees since I've been typing this email. Is this normal for a Lombard to get that hot?

Thanks,
Caleb

*All temperatures are CPU readings from TemperatureX.