On 19/01/06 10:47, "Howard Katz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure if I need to do anything  here.  I just finished running
> the drive utility, and got this message:

[snip!]

> This is an 80 gig drive in a 15" AL 'book.
>
> But the repair button wouldn't become solid so I couldn't try it.  So,
> I ran Drive Genius, from the CD.  I've run the repair function 3 times
> now and it keeps telling me that the disk need to be repaired.
> Doesn't want to DO that repair tho!.  I haven't done the rebuild
> function--really not sure if that would help or not.
>
> I haven't noticed any problems using the 'book, and I have a backup
> using SuperDuper that's 3 days old.  What would you all suggest  I
> do--run rebuild, keep trying repair until it takes, scrub the drive
> and start over?  (obviously the last isn't my favorite alternative)

It might be a problem waiting to ruin some documents. Have you tried to boot
from the system CD and launch Disk Utility from there?

Do you have access to DiskWarrior? I had a problem with a drive where Disk
Utility started the repair but could not complete it. I was left with a disk
that I couldn't even mount. I tried DiskWarrior and it recovered the drive
fine.

Otherwise, I would do another backup, not replacing the one that is 3 days
old. Then, I would format the drive with zeroing out the data and check
carefully the result. I would then maybe restore the whole disk from the
backup and see if it works. The problem here is that there might be some
files that have been damaged by this problem, but there might not be any
either. So recovering the files you would archive might be just fine but
there might already be some files damaged and you won't discover it for a
while. It's hard to tell. If you can and have the time, I would reinstall
the system and apply all updates. I would then restore my account.

I also heard about an OS X update that caused a problem with Disk Utility
where Disk Utility would report a problem when there were none. But if you
tried Drive Genius and got similar result, then I guess that this rules out
the bug...

-Laurent.