> > I've just installed Tiger on my iPod with the intention of keeping a
> > rescue portable disk. I've then booted my powerbook from it and tried
> the
> > software updates. Unfortunately, although the PB shows as being
> connected
> > via Aiport, I get network connection failures.
> >
> > Digging in the logs I've found this in /var/log/system.log:
> > executing /System/Library/.... .../enable-network
> > posting notification com.apple.system.config.network.change
> > no server suitable for configuration found
> > target=enable-network: disabled
> > Repeated trnsactions for interface en1 (ip address); delaying packets
by
> 5
> > seconds
> >
> > Network diagnostics shows everything in green, except for ISP=failed
> > (red). Also, the file com.apple.system.config.network.change does not
> > exist neither on the iPod nor on my main Tiger partition.
> >
> > Has anyone any experience of booting and running a PB from an iPod??
> Maybe
> > there's something obvious I am missing...??
> >
> > thanks for any help and cheers,
> > gianfranco
>
> It should not be any different than booting from the internal disk.
There
> is
> something missing somewhere but I can't tell what it is. But it should
not
> have anything to do with the fact that you are using an iPod.
>
> -Laurent.

thanks for the suggestion, Laurent. In the post-install, I've used the
migration tool to migrate my home directory and the Network settings from
the main partition, which I've done several time in the past on many
drives). Yet, something must have gone wrong, no idea where to start
looking, though!

On a side note, running the book from the iPod is painfully slow, which
somehow surprises me.

cheers,
gianfranco