Quoth a listmate:

> Copying a movie you purchased (that act itself) is clearly not theft.
> Violation of fuzzy, poorly-defined, badly written legislation
> purchased by corporate interests?  Yes, it is that.

    I think the more pertinent question that hasn't been addressed (if it
has, I'm sorry to have missed it) is that: It's entirely possible and easy
to rip DVDs using almost any computer. It either is or isn't legal to burn a
copy for your own personal use -- the RIAA is fighting against Fair Use, and
they'll likely win -- but that's really not the main concern.

    The primary worry of the RIAA (and/or MPAA) is the money they think
they're losing on /sale/ of copies where they don't get paid. Forget for a
moment that royalties are already built into every blank CD-R and DVD-R out
there, this is the post-DMCA era now.

    I've never seen anyone get Agents at their door for making copies for
their own use, or even burning a copy or two for friends. If you're making
200 or 5000 copies and distributing them without turning over 150% of your
profits to the RIAA/MPAA, then you're asking for it.

    In sum: Just keep your legal-or-not copying on the down-low, and you
shouldn't have anything to worry about. And don't P2P file-share /anything/
if you know what's good for you.

Cheers,
A.J.