On Jan 23, 2006, at 8:43 AM, Francesco sciacca wrote:

Have you tried MacTheRipper with Popcorn?

Roxio advertise the latest Toast 7 as being able to 'copy and compress' DVDs. I'm not sure to what extent that works, but it'd be great to hear from some actual user (if anyone out there). True that Dual-Layer DVDs would ease the process, but when I bought a new Dual-Layer superdrive to beef up my
powerbook, little I knew that blancs went for £30 (well over $50) per
5-pack! And they still do now, 6 months later...

I was a little disappointed in Popcorn's features as implemented as opposed to as advertised. I can't speak to Toast yet.

A common way to save room is to compress audio- big space savings, little to no hit in quality. Popcorn, for DVDs with multiple chapters, cannot compress the audio portion, only the video portion. You can only compress audio for DVDs without "sections"- whatever the proper term is. Trouble is, almost all DVDs these days have chapters.

Windows freeware (DVDShrink) is much more flexible in this regard. It looked to me when viewing the feature list, they basically rolled Popcorn into Toast; I've not looked at it in great detail but the feature set didn't seem improved that much. They stated that Popcorn could compress audio but did not mention that for most discs, you won't be able to use that feature effectively.

The other commercial OS X software for doing this (DVD Magic? whatever it was, I forget) might be more flexible, might not- it was certainly a lot more expensive than Popcorn at the time of my purchase.

Anyway be sure to look into the fine print/ call tech support at Roxio if this limitation might affect you. I got Popcorn to be able to keep a undamaged version of DVDs we use in teaching after a couple expensive ones were scratched and needed replaced- I can do what I need with Popcorn, but it bugs me to compress video when audio would be almost lossless.

Brian