on 29/01/06 08:17, kaldav at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
> I have bought a new Hitachi drive for my Pismo (listed as compatible
> on OWC) and put it in an external Sarotech firewire case. However, it
> doesn't show up with Disk Utility in OSX10.3.9.
>
> Then I re-started from a 10.3.2 installer CD, twice by holding down
> the C key, and it is not seen with Disk Utility.
>
> I also re-started in OS9.22 and Drive SetUp did not see it to format it.
>
> Is there a trick to getting this drive to appear on the desktop to format it?

I don't think the problem is with the drive. I would think that the problem
is with the Firewire enclosure. Does that enclosure need external power? I
have one that won't work if not connected to an external source of power.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

kludge: 1. /klooj/ n. Incorrect (though regrettably common) spelling of
kluge (US). These two words have been confused in American usage since the
early 1960s, and widely confounded in Great Britain since the end of World
War II. 2. [TMRC] A crock that works. (A long-ago "Datamation" article by
Jackson Granholme similarly said: "An ill-assorted collection of poorly
matching parts, forming a distressing whole.") 3. v. To use a kludge to get
around a problem. "I've kludged around it for now, but I'll fix it up
properly later."