On Jan 29, 2006, at 5:17 AM, kaldav wrote:

I have bought a new Hitachi drive for my Pismo (listed as compatible on OWC) and put it in an external Sarotech firewire case. However, it doesn't show up with Disk Utility in OSX10.3.9.

Then I re-started from a 10.3.2 installer CD, twice by holding down the C key, and it is not seen with Disk Utility.

I also re-started in OS9.22 and Drive SetUp did not see it to format it.

Is there a trick to getting this drive to appear on the desktop to format it?

I believe that Sarotech FireWire enclosures use Oxford 911 or 912 chipsets. You may have to install the Oxford Java Utility for your drive to show up. If so, please write me offlist for specific procedure.

Fabian