Hi all.  I just joined.

I recently came into posession of a broken G3 Powerbook "Pismo". It seemed relatively complete (no hard drive, no keyboard, no psu, but cpu, ram, dvd-rom, battery). I borrowed a 3400 from work, and tried out the pismo with it, but nothing.

I completely disassembled it, down to the power connector, to find that it had sheared from the board:
http://www.umlautllama.com/gallery/pismo/IMG_0562

so I desoldered, straightned, and reconnected it:
http://www.umlautllama.com/gallery/pismo/IMG_0566

I plugged it all back together, along with a 20gig spare drive I had, and it gave me the ? Folder. YAY!

I just got done installing OS 9 on a 1 gig partition, and OS 10.2 on the remaining partition. It all works really well.

(I do still need a shield for the ram/cpu area, keyboard, and power supply)

I just finally found my 10.4 DVD-R, and was about to install that over 10.2, to find out that for some reason, the DVD-ROM drive (the stock apple one) doesn't seem to read DVD-R discs... or at least, it doesn't read DVD-R discs that I've burnt.

Is this a common problem, or am I doing something wrong on my end?

-s

(I've also got a 15" TiBook 500 (Rev A), and my current machine, a 15" AlBook 1.67ghz... which belong to work, but for all intents and purposes, my machines.)

--
Scott Lawrence
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Nice rework on the sound/AC board.