Stardate 060204.13:31 -0800. A subspace message from l s reads:

  I have a Wallstreet that I am trying to connect to
my cable modem.  I know the modem works, because I can
connect with my B&W.

This could well be an issue with your modem, and not the laptop.

You see, cable ISPs used to be quite narky about the number of machines that could be connected, so cable modems were made to 'spoof' the MAC address (the physical identifier of your computer's ethernet interface chip - MAC stands for Media Access Controller) of the first *real* ethernet device plugged into it.

My guess is this is what the modem has done, and to reset this 'spoofed' MAC address, you need to do a full factory reset of the modem. The process for this will differ from modem to modem, so you should contact your ISP and tell them you're changing machines and you need to know how to do this factory-defaults trick.

Once you *have* reset the modem, do *NOT* plug a computer into it - in fact, don't even turn it on yet. Instead, nip out to any PC shop and buy a small ethernet switch (not a plain 'hub', you need a device with its own valid MAC address). Plug this into the cable modem, and your Macs into the switch.

It is important that you power everything up in *just* the right order, or you will have to start this all over again with another factory-reset of the modem. This is the order:
- the switch
- your main computer (the B&W)
- the cable-modem
- your laptop, and any other computers you may have hooked in.

... and even then, there is no guarantee this will work, depending on both the ISP and the cable-modem.

What I suggest you do instead, is buy a second ethernet interface for your snurftower (hey, it's blue and white, and cute - byte me ;)), leave it hooked up to the cable modem as you have done normally, and hook the laptop to the new ethernet socket. Then, go to your System Preferences, open Networks, and then to your onboard ethernet interface. Select "Share this connection". This will now activate OS X's built-in internet connection sharing and DHCP system - any computer(s) plugged into your *new* ethernet port on the B&W *should* be able to see and use the internet that's coming in from your cable modem.

Geoffrey
--
 "I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my tastes