>100/133 mhz
>shouldn't really make that much of a difference due to backwards
>compatibility, insofar as I understand it.

There's industry standard backward compatibility and then there's Mac
standard backward compatibility.

Wallstreets will not accept many "high density" PC100 and PC133 sticks.

A PC100/PC133 stick may indeed be 256 MB (and low profile, too), but a
Wallstreet may read this as only 128 MB, even though the on-stick EEPROM
says it is 256 MB.

Wallstreets and similar machines (Beige G3, for example) have problems
with high density chips, and more particularly high density chips on one
or both sides of the stick. Even low density chips on both sides of the
stick can be a problem.

Later machines, say, B&W and Lombard/Pismos do not have these same issues.

This seems to be a characteristic of the DRAM controller chip used on the
two affected series of machines, Beige DT/MT/AIO and 1998 PB.