>Alas, the PowerBook's IDE chip goes "Huh? I don't understand what
>you're saying, I'll just ignore you for now, I'm busy."

This is primarily a Lombard and Pismo issue. And, those Lombards and
Pismos which are provided with drives which don't auto-negotiate
properly, which may include the latest Toshiba and Hitachi/IBM drives,
and which definitely includes the Samsung drives, but doesn't include the
Seagate drives or older Toshiba or IBM drives.

It takes two to tango. Both the initiator (the PB) and the responder (the
drive) have to behave according to the rules.

Sometimes, when one party, say, a Lombard or Pismo, misbehaves, all still
goes well, as it does with early Toshiba and IBM drives. Sometimes not.

Sometimes, when the other party, say, a Samsung or late Toshiba or
Hitachi/IBM drive, misbehaves, all still goes well, as it does with a
Wallstreet PB and perhaps some others. Sometimes not.

If both behave by the rules, then any combination works.

If one behaves by the rules, but the other doesn't, then the combination
is indeterminate ... might work, might not work.

If both misbehave, then no combination works (Lombard and Pismo, and late
Toshiba and Hitachi/IBM).

It's that simple.

Those who have Lombards or Pismos, and want to get into the "sweet spot"
of $$$/GB, say, 60 or 80 GB, are going to have to look for earlier
Toshibas or Hitachi/IBMs, which are quickly going out of inventory. OTOH,
the new Seagate laptop models seem to be OK, although this is not from
first-hand experience.

The best drive for the Lombard and Pismo, IMO, is the recently
discontinued Hitachi/IBM 5K80.