>Don't be too quick to damn Samsung drives. I put a brand new 60gb
>5400rpm Samsung drive in my wife's Pismo last spring. The drive has
>performed flawlessly since then.

I'm not "damning" Samsung, not at all.

Samsung was (perhaps still is) the "value leader" in state-of-the-art
fluid dynamic bearing laptop drives.

I was an early tester and adopter of these "Spinrite" drives, and I love
'em, lots and lots.

My Wallstreets all have 40 GB Spinrites.

However, when it came time to upgrade the then new-to-me Lombard and
Pismo PBs, Spinrites turned out to be a no-go.

Perhaps Samsung has changed its firmware to accommodate the flaw. It
would be in good company as Hitachi and Toshiba also have the same, or a
similar flaw in some of their newer drives.

Anyway, when it came time to upgrade my Lombard, I bought and installed a
Spinrite, and it wouldn't work for the reasons detailed previously. I
returned the Spinrite, and took a 15 percent restocking charge.

Then I bought a Hitachi/IBM 5K80, and it worked like a champ.

Later, I obtained the Pismo and tried a new Spinrite in it, and it also
was a no-go. Yet another 15 percent restocking charge.

So, I placed an order for an IBM 5K80, but the seller "subbed" a
like-sized newer model Hitachi/IBM drive (I don't remember its
designation), and that one was a no-go, too. Yet another restocking
charge ... waived at my very strong insistence.

When I FINALLY got the 5K80 I originally ordered in the Pismo, it was
very happy.

Thereafter, I went on to experience interface problems, and to solve
these, too, with fast DVD recorders, in Lombards and Pismos.

So, it is not just hard drives which have problems with Lombards and
Pismos!

The "fix" for the fast DVD recorder is in hacked DVD recorder firmware.

Sadly, this hacked DVD recorder firmware is applicable only to the
Pioneer DVR-K15 drive.

However, the trials and tribulations were worth it as my Lombard and
Pismo work perfectly as portable/field use DVD/CD authoring/duplicating
machines, and with the same or better performance as my stationary B&W
machines.

Lombard: 400 MHz hardware DVD decoder (OS 9)/software decoder (OS X) 60
GB IBM 5K80

Pismo: 500 MHz hardware DVD decoder (OS 9)/software decoder (OS X) 60 GB
IBM 5K80

B&W #1: 450 MHz hardware DVD decoder (OS 9)/software decoder (OS X) 300
GB Seagate

B&W #2: 400 MHz hardware DVD decoder (OS 9)/software decoder (OS X) 300
GB Maxtor