On Feb 14, 2006, at 11:09 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

Ours score in three levels: not spam, Spammish and Definitely Spam.

DefinitelySpam (scoring, iirc, > 15, where we've set a score of 4+ means Spam) goes right into the bit bucket. No way should a legitimate e-mail look like that.

Spammish, 4-15, gets sent through to the client. We flag the Subject line with ***SPAM*** to make it easy to sort out, and set the X-Spam-Status=Yes

I don't know your ISP or your system, but I do know that in my business, I talk with people (who have posted their resume on Monster.com, for instance) on the phone, then send them information if they're interested. The Subject reads "Business Information from Harry Corsover" and the body is short, giving them my business web site and confirming the time we've arranged for a follow-up phone call. I don't use my email signature in those emails.

Yet, fairly often, these wind up filtered out or labeled as spam, and my prospect or potential customer never sees the email. This, to me, is unacceptable, since by no reasonable definition is my email spam. And this costs me time and money.

I've also seen quite normal-looking emails replying to a post on a professional email list with "SPAM" inserted into the subject line. Sometimes these show up with list email, and sometimes Mail puts them in my junk folder.

How do you know your system produces no false positives?

Regards,

Harry Corsover

--
Feel better, look younger, live longer and make more money with Synergy Worldwide:

Harry Corsover
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                            303-909-9218
www.harryc.biz