On Feb 13, 2006, at 7:21 PM, Harry Corsover wrote:

I'm no expert (and don't work at or for an ISP) but I haven's seen any kind of ISP-level spam filtering that's acceptable to me. I don't want even one false positive a day, let alone a week, and I don't want to have to frequently check for them at an ISP (or domain host's) web interface.

We don't require that. SpamAssassin lets you put anything you want into the subject headers, and adds a header X-Spam-status=Yes to the message. Then it's delivered as normal.

Mail sees and treats the X-Spam-Status header appropriately. (There's a preference setting for this)

I'd rather sort through Mail's Junk folder many times a day and catch the almost daily legit mail that gets put there.

That's the way ours work.

Ours score in three levels: not spam, Spammish and Definitely Spam.

DefinitelySpam (scoring, iirc, > 15, where we've set a score of 4+ means Spam) goes right into the bit bucket. No way should a legitimate e-mail look like that.

Spammish, 4-15, gets sent through to the client. We flag the Subject line with ***SPAM*** to make it easy to sort out, and set the X-Spam- Status=Yes

I don't know what "real-world" ISP's do, but ours isn't enormously resource intensive, and this system works well both on our scale (8-900 accounts, give or take) and the bigger main UA server (50K accounts).

--
Bruce Johnson

This is the sig who says 'Ni!'