On 15/02/06 12:47, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 9:03 AM +1100 02/12/2006, Geoffrey Peters wrote:
>> Stardate 060211.08:08 -0500. A subspace message from Dan Knight reads:
>>
>>> We're slowly moving the Low End Mac email lists from Maclaunch to
>>> Google Groups, which we see as a real improvment.
>>
>> Well, that's very disappointing.
> [snip]
>> Sorry guys, but I'll stick with G-Books on MacLaunch until it dies.
>> You won't see me on Google, because frankly, it sucks more than
>> Microsoft.
>
> I have to admit, I'm disappointed with the google groups so far.
>
> Three times today, I've gotten "no permission to post" type replies.
> Already got one message that had styled text - so tiny I couldn't
> read it.
>
> Never had these problems with yahoo groups.
>
> Macs should be easy.
>
> sigh.
>
> - Dan.

OK, there is what I posted to the Google groups. That should clear up
everything:

On 15/02/06 12:06, "Don and Jan Stowe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2006, at 10:36 AM, P. Turtle-Bear Guillermo wrote:
>

>> Hello everyone. Twice, I have received personal email (blasted to
>> individuals signed up for the google group I think) about issues with
>> the google groups list.
>>
>> List nannies - get your act together - some people seem to be having
>> trouble signing up and once signed up they have no clue as to how to
>> unsubscribe.
>
> I'm signed up for this list but want the digest mode.  How do I get it?

OK, here are some clarifications from what I did experience. There seems to
be some confusion on the Google website about how to subscribe to groups and
manage your subscription from a non-Google email account.

For those that are subscribed from their Gmail account, please ignore this.

For all the others, here is what I did again.

You first need to send an email from the account you want to subscribe to
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'. You'll receive a confirmation email
and you just have to reply to it.

Then, go to <http://groups.google.com/>. From that page, click the "Join"
link next to "New users". On the next page, enter your current email
address, the one you just subscribed. Choose a password and customize your
profile if you want. Then, click the "I accept. Create my account." button
at the bottom of the page. You will get another confirmation for your
account creation. You can again reply to that confirmation or click the
hyperlink in it. When creating an account for my Fannie Mae email address, I
did click the hyperlink.

Then, open a new browser tab or window or enter the Google Groups link
<http://groups.google.com/>. From that page, now click the "Sign in" link
next to "Members".

When I want to sign in with my
Gmail account, I just enter my user ID without the domain, e.g.
'laurent.daudelin' (my Google email address is
'[EMAIL PROTECTED]').

If I want to manage my Fannie Mae email address account, I first sign out if
I'm signed in then I enter my full Fannie Mae email address in the email
field, e.g. '[EMAIL PROTECTED]', along with my password. That's
working perfectly so far. Using Safari, if I type enough characters to
identify my Gmail account, it sets the password for that account
automatically. Very handy.

Once you signed in, you should see the "G-Books" group under "All my groups"
since you already subscribed to that group with your email address. Click
the "G-Books" link. Then, if you want to change your subscription (switch to
digest, email, etc.), click the "Unsubscribe or change membership" link next
to "Start a new topic". The next page should be pretty obvious. Save your
settings and you're set.

-Laurent.