On Feb 9, 2006, at 1:08 AM, Chris Placzek wrote:

    Id like to import analog video and sound to my computer (or convert
it).  I have a Digital Audio, which I believe has no mic port even.
Anyone know what the cheapest solution is?

Thanks

Chris P

There are a number of ways, but the cheapest ones can result in poor-quality video and much disappointment and frustration. Best to spend what it takes to do it right. I use an ordinary VCR/DVD deck or my analog video camera (depending on the source of the analog video, whether it's DVDs, videocassette tapes, or my Hi-8 camcorder) going into my G4 though a $4-500 Canopus analog-to-digital converter <http://www.canopus.com/products/ADVC300/index.php> through one of its FireWire ports. I recently saw another good Canopus converter on the LEM swaplist for around $200. I import the video into either iMovie or Final Cut Express for editing. The people in the video editing discussion forums on the Apple website have all the answers to questions on importing analog video and the like. Ask in the the iMovie forum <http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1115> or the Final Cut Express group at http://<discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=936> and you'll find out everything you need to know there.

Tom