On Feb 11, 2006, at 6:37 AM, James Fraser wrote:
=20
"There is no ActiveX in Safari and there is no ActiveX equivalent.
That makes it harder to go to a web page and have your Mac
compromised."
Substitute "harder" with "impossible"?
=20
Wow...you're really flinging down the gauntlet here. =AC_=AC
=20
And he's wrong to boot.
=20
Not that there is ActiveX, that open sore of exploitation, but there
have been exploits that affected non-IE browsers, and one in
particular I can think of that affected Safari: remember the
'autoinstalling widget' kerfuffle after the release of 10.4?

For one. =20

Even a casual Google for "OS X + exploit" reveals OS X is far from
bombproof. While a lot of the results are conjecture about what the move t=
Intel will mean in terms of exploits, even the very first page has a (albei=
dated) link for "Four new Mac OS X exploits discovered."

That's not to say that exploits can't be countered fairly easily once they are known. It just demonstrates that even the most highly thought of OS is not without its flaws and that the end user (or, Ghod help him, the network
admin) needs to keep his eyes and ears open.

I know it sounds terrible, but whenever I hear anyone boasting of Just How Secure their network/box/OS is, I can't help but feel that that person will
soon be making an appearance on their local Wall of Shame:

http://www.tgdaily.com/2004/08/02/defcon_12/  (scroll down a bit)

Mac users do indeed have bragging rights, but it might be better if those rights were exercised exclusively amongst Mac users...and in a low whisper
at that.

Hm, do I detect a bit of superstition here...? "He Who Must Not Be Named" :-) Forgot about the auto-installing widget thing, as I am still in Panther, widget-less.

As I said, I am sure it can be done somehow - but really, have anyone here ever had a remote break-in to their OSX systems? Even heard of anyone experiencing this?