Anthony Kimmons wrote:
Hi there folks & thanks in advance for any advice you may have! Looking forward to learning a lot here...

I just bought a 400 mhz G4 AGP, 10 gig HD, 256 ram, off ebay (with OS 9 loaded) and have gotten OS 9.2 loaded and working fine on it.

However, when I load OS X (Jaguar, Panther, or Tiger), and then try to restart in OS X, I get the startup chime, then a grey screen, with an apple logo, then I hear a 'click' inside the monitor and the screen breaks into a band of light and dark grey and freezes up.

I've got this same exact problem with an old Power Computing Power Tower with a G4 upgrade card in it.

I've downloaded the latest firmware for the G4 and it tells me that I've already got that. It's a Maxtor 10 gig HD, with 2-128 Kingston "valueRAM" chips installed. (I am thinking it may be a 3rd party driver problem or crappy ram perhaps?)

A month ago, I purchased a different computer, another 400 mhz AGP off ebay. It came loaded with OS X (Jaguar) and it works fine, so I know it's possible to get this going.

Any ideas? Please help if you can!
THANKS a lot!

I had a similar issue once with my old B&W and one of those weird semi-fixed frequency Sun monitors.

I would try the following:

1) Zap the PRAM about four or five times in a row
2) Perform a safe boot (Hold shift when powering on)
3) If this mode works and you are able to log into the system, check your display settings
4) Adjust as needed, attempt a normal boot