On Sep 5, 2008, at 3:28 PM, PAR wrote:

> Recently I got a nice B&W. I would love to trade out the CDRW drive
> for a DVDRW drive I have handy, but I have not been able to track down
> specific instructions on how to remove the current cd drive or install
> a new DVD drive in its place. Poking around in my machine, the only
> way I can see of pulling out the old drive is prying it out.

Open the case.

Press on the two blue plastic tabs which are found in the inside of
the case.

Remove  the entire bezel.

Remove the two screws which retain the CD/Zip carrier.

Slide out the carrier.

Disconnect all data and power cables.

Remove the carrier completely.

Remove drives.

Install drives (you won't need screws for the optical drive, and I
always discard the Zip drive anyway.

Reinstall in reverse.

If you get a DVR-109 or later, it will work for everything.

Some Lite-Ons are good, too, but I usually reserve those for
Hackintoshes.