Doug

I'm no fan of Windows, but saying the latest is just a redressed DOS is
understating it a bit. From the heady days of pre-Windows 98 where
everything needed drivers, XP and Vista is getting more Mac like in its
ability to cope with hardware using generic drivers built into the OS.

You should care what Apple does with it's OS. We use a Mac for its OS. Macs
are just standard hardware wrapped in shiney Apple designs, it is the OS
that makes the difference. I use a Mac, mainly for its OS, the lovely
design of them is a bonus.

Linux is something new. It has gone from being a minority command-line
nerdy OS to a less of a minority, slowly gaining ground, less command-line
more GUI. Commercial companies are tapping into the success of Ubuntu and
making it more successful.

At the end of the day an OS is just a user interface to the software you
want to run. Sure intuitive, fun, stable and easy to use are key reasons
behind an OS, but it is just a platform to what else you want to do on your
computer.

What else could a company bring to an OS that hasn't already been done
before. It is a simple navigational piece of software which allows you to
do other things nicely without having to type out code. When Leopard and
Vista came out they were slammed for their 'fancy effects' but these are
the same things that drives them forward.

I am happy with the current offerings - at least on the Mac front. Tiger
and Leopard are some of the best experiences you can get on a Mac and they
are pretty impressive. To a lesser extent XP and Vista are vast
improvements on Windows. Ubuntu 7 is miles ahead of previous incarnations.

We are progressing, but no flying cars I'm afraid.

Simon

--- http://www.simonroyal.co.uk - Mac news, reviews, guides, upgrades,
hacks and more... - http://www.nmug.org.uk - webmaster for Norwich Mac User
Group - The box said requires Windows XP or better, so I bought an Apple
Mac.

On Sep 22 2008, Doug Burton wrote:

On Sep 21, 2008, at 10:49 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> <http://daringfireball.net/2008/09/digging_deeper>
>
> "But the concept reflects the actual business that Apple is in. Apple
> does not sell operating systems. They sell computers. Microsoft does
> not sell computers; they sell operating systems. (Apple’s boxed $129
> versions of Mac OS X are just upgrades; they only work on computers
> that Apple has already sold.)
>
> Apple and Microsoft are undeniably engaged in one of the longest
> running and most interesting rivalries in business history, but it is
> very odd in that it is an orthogonal rivalry. Apple’s direct
> competition isn’t Microsoft but instead PC makers who sell computers
> running Windows."
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson

Oh great, another Apple blogger gets it.  I'm thrilled.  So what?  Why
does it matter if anyone "gets it"?  And just what is "it" by the
way?  I for one don't really care what Apple does with it's OS X
software.  Oh sure, it's a pretty new face on an old OS, but that's
all it is.  The same with Windows, it's just DOS all dressed up and
not much else.  Linux is nothing new, but at least it's free.  When is
someone going to come out with a truly NEW OS?  BE was kind of neat,
but it was only a simple combination of the best features of Windows
and the Mac OS.  No, I can't say I'm impressed with the current crop
of offerings.  To use the car analogy, it's much the same there.
Where are the flying cars we were promised years ago?  I guess my
point to all of this is that people are never satisfied.  Give them
the world and they want a new world.  I guess Mars will be next as
there wasn't much up on the moon.

I wasn't around during the horse and buggy days, but I have several
Amish families on my mail route.  They seem happy and content to
travel around at their slow pace.  And we had a recent wind event here
in the midwest with a power outage for several days (some still don't
have power).  It made me realize just how much we take for granted
with our cushy lifestyles.  I guess there is nothing wrong with
arguing over things we have no control over, Apple will do what it
wants to do and MS will do the same.  A shame though to waste the
precious little time we have here on earth in pointless discussions.
But then, what else is there to do?

Just a sermon from Doug...