On Sep 22, 2008, at 5:17 PM, Simon Royal wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have recently swapped most of my external USB drives for Firewire
> ones,
> as I only ever had my iPod plugged in via firewire, leaving a spare
> firewire port, meanwhile my USB ports and hubs were brimming.
>
> So I hooked up my iPod through my external firewire DVD writer. Great!
> apart from one oddity.
>
> Sit the iPod on the dock and it powers up and charges but wouldn't
> mount.
> So I switched on the firewire DVD writer

???  I gather that the DVD unit has an external (I.E. Wall Wart)
power supply.
Just how are you 'switching on' the DVD unit? Is there a switch on
the DVD?

> and lo and behold the iPod showed
> it's 'do not disconnect' and then mounted and iTunes kicked into life.
>
> So what would happen if I turned off my DVD writer while the iPod was
> mounted? Would it disconnect the iPod too.

That would be my expectation given your description so far.

> Just a bit confused as to why it
> would power the iPod even if the DVD writer is off but only mount
> if it is
> on.
>
> Seems daisy chaining has its drawbacks.

Another example of deficient documentation, requiring the User (you)
to 'learn by experimentation'.  ;-)
Fortunately, I haven't yet run into any questionable problems using
FireWire.

Chuck D.