At 1:59 PM -0400 9/27/08, Charles Davis posted:

I know you said you are on dial-up; however I ran into the same
problem the other day on my B&W after I added it to a new router and
ran the Security Update. With the old router hooked in, I set the
Network Configuration to DHCP with Manual IP on the B&W. The new
router accepted the same setup allowing me to connect to the
internet. However, after running the Security Update, every time I
did a restart, I'd get the same message as you were getting. And like
you, clicking on OK did nothing except bring the alert up again. I
finally managed to close the Preference window by using one hand to
hit return and the other on the mouse to hit close on the Preference
Window.  I eventually solved the problem, correctly or incorrectly I
don't really give a sh*t because it works now, by resetting the
Network Configuration on the B&W to DHCP and setting the router LAN
to always give the same IP to the B&W based on the MAC address. This
is the exact reverse of what was working on the old router. And yes,
this was immediately after running the Security Update. The B&W and
new router with the old settings had worked for several hours before
running the Update, ie I connected to the net to download the Update
without any problems with the old settings, and ran into the 'Network
Settings have been changed by another Application' cycle immediately
after running the Security Update on restart.

My experience may give you a clue as to what's happening for you. Or not.

Steve R
--
                Reopen NAFTA. Reclaim our sovereignty.
   <http://www.straightgoods.ca/ViewFeature8.cfm?REF=333>