Greetings all,
I am experiencing exactly the same thing as Chuck on my G4 1.5 GHz
laptop i.e. the  'Network Settings have been changed by another
Application' on the network box, and the same problem when trying to
close it. I see nothing strange in the start up items. Could this be
a bug from the security update? BTW I believed I followed the correct
sequence of security updates.

Peter