At 6:02 AM -0400 10/22/2008, insightinmind wrote:
>On Oct 21, 2008, at 11:12 PM, Dan wrote:
>  > So you had a large empty space that was unpartitioned?  If not, then
>  > you didn't just "add"... you did a massive data move to create the
>>  contiguous free space, then re-wrote the partition map, resizing the
>>  existing partitions before "adding" any new ones.
>
>It looked like Leopard was keeping the end of the backup disk free by
>its nature?

Like Tiger, Leopard does some dynamic defragmentation built-in.  That
would tend to keep areas clear BUT does not do it by explicit
intention.  It's mostly just trying to keep individual files
contiguous and put the OS-critical stuff in the "middle" of the drive
where it can be accessed fastest.

>  > Just out of curiousity - why are you partitioning the internal
>>  drive(s)?  What OS's are involved?
>
>OS X 10.4.11, Classic 9.1, Applications, Documents.
>
>I like keeping things separated on partitions ... perhaps from early
>my computer training, back in the 1900s ... bookkeeping clarity ...
>individual backups ...

In the classic OS days, we recommended such because it reduced disk
corruptions.  Today, in Mac OS X, it actually impedes things.  HFS+
Journaled is a very robust/safe file system.  And with the background
defragging that the system does... dividing your HD too much makes it
MORE difficult to optimize things.

I strongly recommend using a *single* partition on your internal drives.

As for Classic... The basic system folder is perfectly happy living
on the same volume with OS X.  In fact, that is the recommended
configuration.  If you need to actually boot on OS 9 *then* you might
want to consider a separate partition for it *IFF* you have a lot of
3rd party extensions that you need.  The idea here is to keep Classic
Mode clean, because it's mostly incompatible with 3rd party
extensions.  Whereas a separate booted OS 9 volume lets you get as
messy as you want.

(*IFF* == IF and ONLY IF)

>maybe Apple will come out with more trustworthy dynamic Disk
>Utility? That's what it looks like is
>happening in Leopard ...

The dynamic re-partitioning is something Apple added to facilitate
the creation of a Boot Camp volume.  Even their tech notes talk about
preferring to do the re-partition when the machine is brand new --
BEFORE the data has moved around much.

It is the type of operation that will NEVER EVER be trustworthy, no
matter how you spin it.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth